Last week while I was packing for a trip to my sister’s place, I just gave her a call to ask if she needs something from Baroda. I was thinking more on terms of the Gujarati dry snacks like khakra, khandvi, namkeens etc. But she said “Bake and bring a cake!” Last time when I had visited her, I had baked a basic chocolate cake the night before and it was half over between the time she picked me from the station and drove to home! 🙂 So this time she didn’t want to leave it at chance. What if I didn’t bring one this time! I wanted to try something new and as soon as I closed my eyes, marble cake came to mind. There was little time left for the shops to close so I was immediately on the net to find a marble cake recipe. At that time I was eating a nutella sandwich and don’t know why but my hands simply typed nutella marble cakes. I found this beautiful food blog whipped run by a 20 something old pretty pretty girl! And her recipe for Nutella Swirl Poundcake that spoke of her love for the spread! I just did slight changes to the recipe and made a Nutella swirl loaf cake or in general terms a marble cake for my sister! 🙂
Nutella Marble Cake
Preparation Time: 20 mins| Baking Time: 1hr 20 mins| Makes one 9X5 loaf
4 large eggs at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (maida)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup castor sugar
200 gms butter (I use the regular butter, which is slightly salted. If you use unsalted butter then add like ¼ tsp salt to the recipe)
100 gms Nutella Hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a loaf tin with butter paper (I save the wrappings of butter stick to use as cake tin linings!).
- Combine eggs and vanilla in a small bowl and lightly beat.
- Sieve together flour and baking powder (and salt if using) in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, using an electric whisk, until fluffy.
- Pour the egg and vanilla mixture into the egg mixture. First combine using a hand fork and then with the whisk at medium speed.
- Slowly combine the flour mixture ½ a cup at a time. Whisk at a low speed and after the last addition mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Spread 1/3rd of the batter into the bottom of the pan. Smooth with the back of a spoon. Spread ½ the Nutella over the batter. Again spread 1/3rd of the batter and top with another layer of the remaining Nutella spread. Finally add the remaining batter. Smooth with the back of the spoon. Run a knife through the batter to create marbling effect. Do not over mix!
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes till the cake has risen well and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut a slice (or two!) and indulge yourself before packing the rest :D. Store in an air-tight container. Stays in refrigerator for up to 3 days.