Like most healthy foods, eating garlic pieces doesn’t come easy. Garlic chutney is an ideal way of including garlic in diet. Since childhood, garlic chutney and green chutneys have been like staple foods in our fridge. Every weekend mummy used (and still does) to make both chutneys for the week.
This basic and very quick chutney makes a great addition to any food menu. I also use it in gravy preparations as a substitute for garlic paste.
Chilli Garlic Chutney
Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 10 mins (+30 minutes to soak the chillies)
5 Garlic bulbs (~30 large garlic cloves), peeled
20-25 dried red chillies
1 small tomato, chopped
4 tsp roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
- Soak dried red chillies in water for about half an hour. Drain.
- Add garlic, red chillies and tomato to a mixer and grind to a fine paste. Add a little water if required.
- Add salt and cumin powder and give it another blitz in the mixer.
- Taste a little and adjust the seasoning to taste. To increase this sourness, you can also add lime juice.
- Transfer in jars and serve as required. At y mother’s home this lasts for just about a week, but I keep it for 2 weeks.