Eggs are big on nutrition and cheap too. So to join in the Food Revolution, we were making different omelette recipes with children at the centre.
This is the recipe for a basic cheese omelette which is a breakfast staple in our home. Easy and delicious and a little imagination can transform this basic omelette to a full meal. I will soon be posting up various flavour combinations for the basic cheese omelette in other posts.
Basic Cheese Omelette
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking Time: |Serves: 1
2 large eggs
A knob of butter
1/2 tsp of thyme (optional)
Salt to taste
Black pepper or Red chilly flakes to taste
~2 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
1 tbsp milk
- Place a pan over low heat and let it get hot.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. Add in all the spices and a tbsp of milk. I always add a little milk to my eggs, it make the omelette fluffier and also takes away the smell.
- Beat well with a fork.
- Once the pan is hot, add the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the beaten eggs and spread them out evenly.
- When the omelette begins to firm up but still has some liquid on top, grate the cheese directly onto the omelette. Let it cook for about a minute, till the omelette starts to turn golden brown from underneath.
- Ease around the edges with a spatula and fold the omelette in half and slide it onto the serving plate.
- Enjoy as is or with some toasted bread.