This has to be the quickest chocolate pudding. And believe me from scratch. My husband recently gifted my Nigella Lawson’s Nigella Express cookbook and this one is straight out of that book. I just changed the presentation a little and added white chocolate for contrast :).
It sounds tastier when you call it Budino Di Cioccolato (make sure you get the correct Italian pronunciation!), which is also the name by which the recipe is listed in the book. After poached pear, this one is now my go-to dessert recipe whenever I have guests at short notice. 20 minutes is all it takes! I love Nigella’s cooking.
I’ve made this one 4 times already, and now as I write this I’m eating some of yesterday’s leftover 😀
Chocolate Pudding Shots
Preparation Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 15-20 mins | Serves 8-10
500ml (2 cups) whole milk
2 tbsps boiling water
125 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
|2 egg yolks|
|120gms (1 cup) caster sugar||
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cornflour
|60 gms dark chocolate, finely chopped|
|35 gms (1/3 cup) cocoa||
10 gms white chocolate shavings
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and cream together (you don’t need to boil)
- In another saucepan, add sugar, cornflour and cocoa. Add the 2 tbsps of boiling water and mix it all together to a paste.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- To this cocoa mix, add the warm milk and cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix it all together and put on heat. Cook the mixture (whisking continuously) for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. (It will come to the consistency of thick condensed milk)
- Take off the heat; add in the chopped dark chocolate and whisk. The chocolate will melt in the mix and the colour will become a rich dark brown.
- Pour into 8 shot glasses.
- You might want to eat one right away as it is the tastiest hot chocolate I have had till now! 🙂
- Cover the tops of the glasses with clingfilm, to avoid forming a layer and refrigerate once they get cooler.
- Take them out of the fridge about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle white chocolate shavings on top and serve!
Find the original Nigella’s recipe here: Budino Di Cioccolato
Some more Nigella recipes in my kit!