I feel the term ‘open sandwich’ is a misnomer, after all where is the sandwich when there is only one bread! But what can I say, English is a funny language 🙂
A couple of days ago when Sikander was on travel, I had this craving for the road-side pizza we used to have as kids. Cooking for one has the advantage that you can experiment anything that you like! So I thought of trying a different version of the road-side pizza at home with bread instead of pizza base. I feel sandwich is a playground, you have two slices of bread and you can keep experimenting with what to put in between those two slices. Here I tried with just one slice and thus an ‘open sandwich’.
Open Grilled Sandwich
2 slices brown bread
½ cup chopped green capsicum
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped tomato
1 cheese slice
½ tsp chat masala
Salt and pepper to taste
- Put a layer of cheese spread followed by tomato ketchup on the bread slices
- Grill the slices for 2 minutes
- Mix capsicum, onion, tomato, chaat masala, salt and pepper in a bowl
- Top the bread with the mixture
- Cut thin strips of the cheese slice and add on top of the sandwich.
- Grill for 10 minutes
- Your open sandwich is ready!